MLD Post Surgical Patient Information
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions: It is crucial to strictly adhere to the post-operative instructions provided by your surgeon. These instructions are tailored to your specific procedure and are designed to promote healing and minimize complications.
- Take prescribed medications: Take any prescribed medications, such as pain relievers or antibiotics, as directed by your surgeon. These medications will help manage pain, prevent infection, and support the healing process.
- Maintain proper hygiene: Keep the surgical areas clean and dry to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s guidelines on showering and bathing, and avoid swimming or submerging the incision sites until cleared by your surgeon.
- Wear compression garments: Your surgeon may recommend wearing compression garments to help reduce swelling and support the newly contoured areas. Follow the instructions provided regarding the duration and frequency of wearing these garments.
- Gentle massage techniques: As a massage therapist, you can provide gentle lymphatic drainage massages (MLD) after receiving clearance from your surgeon. These massages can help reduce swelling, promote circulation, and aid in the healing process. Ensure you are properly trained in post-operative massage techniques and always follow the guidance of your surgeon.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: Eat a balanced diet, stay hydrated, and avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. These factors can play a significant role in your overall healing and recovery process.
- Attend follow-up appointments: Keep all scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon. These visits are essential for monitoring your progress, addressing any concerns, and making any necessary adjustments to your recovery plan.
Remember, every patient’s recovery can vary, so it’s important to consult with your surgeon and follow their personalized recommendations.